Stand Up My Soldiers. The World Also Needs You

www.rodneybukuya.com

Leading his family to new grounds.

If you’re a man reading this, Congratulations. You’re either, part of a small but growing group of men who are trying to steer us back to stand in our power, or, you’re in the hands of a woman who loves you, more than the pay packet you bring in.

Where did we go wrong?

There was a time when we men took on the world and conquered new frontiers and invested time and effort into developing ideas that would change that world. We drew strength and intellectual nourishment from other men and we turned them over and over in our minds, ever creating new ideas that would advance us.

We built great kingdoms that still stand to this very day. We built them not just for great wealth but to add strength to our people. Our great kingdoms housed our farmers, and our thinkers and religious people. They housed and defended our musicians and dancers and story tellers. They housed our craftsmen, butchers, bakers, blacksmiths. All had a place in our kingdom.

Technology Intervenes

Then our great thinkers started inventing wonderful machines that would make our lives easier. Our daily tasks could now be completed in half the time by half the number of men and so more and more of us were free to engineer other great projects until almost as if by accident we end up in a place where many men feel un-needed. Superfluous to the needs of the world.

The back breaking work that formerly required the strength of a man can now be performed by a woman, and so it is. Women have left the kitchens from where they were shackled for generations, lacking in respect or favour. Empowered by their new found freedoms, women have stretched into every career that was once the proud domain of men only. And so they should, our ladies bring a strength that many men fail to understand.

Stand Up My Soldiers

We got it wrong though. The great empowerment of woman was never meant to replace you. It was to add her strength to yours so we can move on and tackle the next set of great challenges for our species. Over population, starvation, our failing natural habitat. These are the challenges that our women and our families need us to stand up for. These are the fights we must prepare ourselves for. Not by sharing limited spoils among stronger victors but by creating new fields to farm, new opportunities that everyone of our brothers and sisters may share in.

Stand Up My Soldiers. We cannot take on these great battles while you are busy numbing your sense of loss in drugs or alcohol. We cannot feed the world while you’re battling imaginary foe on world of warcraft or some other mind paralysing rot. And you cannot prepare your sons for their great journey by spending your weekends trapped in a cycle of never ending sport on payTV.

Stand Up My Soldiers. The World Also Needs You.

15 thoughts on “Stand Up My Soldiers. The World Also Needs You

1. Pauline

Oooooh. I LIKE you, Rodney! This is great. I especially like that you’re encouraging men and women to work together to meet the next group of challenges. If we all work together, perhaps we can move to the next step of evolution and although we might skip the X-Men stage, that’s probably okay. πŸ™‚

1. rodneybukuya Post author

I don’t think the 80’s would have been the same without Brian Mannix, Pauline.

Oh, I see, You’re saying you’re not interested in seeing anymore of Hugh Jackman half nude or even fully nude as he was in Wolverine.

In all seriousness though Pauline, I honestly think we’ve missed the point. We could not move on if women retained their traditional roles (in a western sense).

That they stay true to themselves as mothers and wives is invaluable but why can’t we let those that desire it, move forward in careers while some men come home to care for the family.

Bigger problems need bigger minds to fix them. they’re not going to be fixed by a generation of men sitting around like slobs.

2. Amanda

Kaching…. you got it again. I’m just waiting for you to come out with a neanderthal comment, because that’s how I am wired…. for now… you are teaching me to release my demons when it comes to ‘all men’… thanks Rod. xx

1. rodneybukuya Post author

Wow, What a wonderful honour Amanda. Your opinion is very valuable to me. I hope that some of the people you’ve shared this with think it’s good enough to share also.
      The world is chock full of really great blokes, we just need some more of them to stand up and say, Hey, I want to do my bit. I will leave this world in a better shape than what I found it. I will fill it with love, even if it’s only in my corner.

3. 24HourWealthCoach

Some good points. There’s more to being a man than playing World of Warcraft or watching sport on tv. Which women are bold enough to let their men be men? Or do women prefer to emasculate their men & then read about Fabio or 50 Shades of Grey? Are you brave enough to let a man be a man?

1. rodneybukuya Post author

Are you brave enough to let a man be a man? A great point. I think there’s a lot of ladies who are doing just that, including my own. I also happen to think there’s a lot of ladies who live in fear.

There’s a lot to be fearful of in a relationship but letting your man sit at home and rot away is not helping anyone, especially the two people in that particular relationship.

How many great men are sitting home doing nothing and helping nobody when all they need is a gentle nudge from a supportive spouse to push them out of the nest and spread their wings.

Too many great ideas will go to the graves of men that have kept them in their heads.

4. Madonna

Great post once again Rodney. I don’t think men have got it wrong. All this is part of the divine plan. No one likes change. It is human nature to resist it with all our might. I see plenty of evidence that men are changing, but I admit, it is slow, i applaud you for giving them the nudge. They do need to work a little harder. Do you have friends that think like you?

1. rodneybukuya Post author

I do have a few Madonna, one in particular springs to mind and I cannot wait until he stands in his power.

I also have brothers who set my heart on fire, were you to meet them, you would quickly realise that while I am the most outspoken of the men in my family, it is the power that emanates from the souls of my brothers that is truly powerful.

One of my brothers, Al, is on a completely different spiritual journey to mine but Wow, to watch him stand in it is truly inspiring.

5. Donagh

Excellent – very well said – My Mum always said that the liberation of women should have added to the liberation of Mankind not separation of Mankind

1. rodneybukuya Post author

Your mum must have been a very smart lady indeed.

Do you think the Bra Burning efforts of the Germaine Greers of the world have helped or hindered the liberation of mankind?

6. Natalie Hennessey

Fabulous post Rodney. I think we all need to understand that the women’s movement is not about overtaking or standing above men. It is about walking beside them. The world cannot heal until we are complimentary of each other. We definitely need men to be men and women to be women and for us to both be accessing those aspects of ourselves too. Well written.

1. rodneybukuya Post author

Natalie, Thank you. for coming to share here. I am one of those lucky men who has a supportive wife and that allows me to stand in my power as a man. Unfortunately many people think the term supportive spouse means someone that lets them do anything they want. To me, a supportive spouse will kick you out of your slumber towards your dreams and passion even if they don’t agree with them or don’t understand why you need to pursue it. It is enough for a supportive spouse to know that following your path will help you grow into the person you’re destined to become.